FAQ: JSPS International Fellowships for Research in Japan

1. General

Question1-1: What kind of fellowship programs does the JSPS offer?

 JSPS offers four kinds of fellowship programs (listed below) for overseas researchers.





*    Doctoral students expected to receive Ph.D. by start date are also eligible.

**  There are some exceptions. Please refer to the application guideline.

***If you have Japanese citizenship, you may be eligible for the `Invitational Long-term' and `Invitational Short-term' programs only as long as certain conditions are met. Please see Q2-4.


Q1-2: Which research fields are covered by JSPS fellowships?

  Researchers in all fields of the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences are eligible.


Q1-3: Does JSPS focus on any specific research fields?

  Preference is not be given to a field of specialization in making selections.



2. Application process

Q2-1: What if I have a position in a U.S. institution but am not a U.S. citizen?

In open recruitments of 'Postdoc Standard', 'Invitational Long' and 'Invitational Short' programs, we accept applications from citizens of all countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan.


If you have Japanese citizenship and have lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years, and have been actively engaged in research in U.S. throughout this period, you are eligible to apply only to the "Invitational" programs.

For more information on eligibility details, please see the application guidelines. https://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-fellow/application-21.html


Q2-2: I have previously been selected for a JSPS fellowship. Can I apply again?

 It depends on the program.

 There are no restrictions on reapplying to the `Invitational Long-term` and `Invitational Short-term`.

[As long as you are eligible for the programs, you can advance the program from Summer program up to Standard, but you cannot apply for the same program or apply for "junior" programs.]


Q2-3: My application was not accepted. Can I apply to the same fellowship again?

  Yes, you can apply to the same fellowship as long as you meet the program requirements.


Q2-4: I have Japanese citizenship but am conducting my research in the U.S. Am I eligible to apply?

 If you have been living and actively engaged in research in the U.S. for 10 years or more, you are eligible to apply for the 'Invitational Long-term' and 'Invitational Short-term' programs, but not for the `Short-term` or `Standard` programs.


Q2-5: Which application method has a higher acceptance rate, open recruitment or nominating authorities?

  Acceptance rates for open recruitment are available on JSPS website:

[Short-term Program]


[Standard Program]


[Invitational Fellowships]



Acceptance rates through nominating authorities are not made public through JSPS. However you may contact each nominating authority directly to inquire about their rates.:

List of nominating authorities :






Q2-6: Can I apply for several differrent fellowship programs at the same time?

 No. You cannot apply to the different programs if they have the same recruitment period.

For example, you cannot apply to both the Invitational Long-term fellowship and Short-term fellowship in the same recruitment period, but you can apply to both in different recruitment periods.


Q2-7: I am not a U.S. citizen, but am conducting research in the U.S. under a J-1 visa. If I leave the U.S. to conduct research in Japan, what happens to my J-1 visa?

  Many of our fellowships are open to applicants worldwide. Please check the specific eligibility requirements for the fellowship you are interested in. Regarding your visa status, JSPS cannot guarantee that your U.S. J-1 visa will remain intact, and cannot take responsibility for any loss of U.S. visa status while on a JSPS fellowship. It is your responsibility to check visa regulations carefully in advance.



3. About host researchers

Q3-1: How do I find a host researcher?

  While networking is the best way to find a host researcher, the following online tools can be a resource to help you search for your prospective host researcher:

JSPS-Net: https://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-plaza/jsps-net.html


Researchmap (online Japanese researcher search engine): http://researchmap.jp/?lang=english<.a>

Cinii (online database of academic articles, books, journals &dissertations by discipline): http://ci.nii.ac.jp/en                                                                

žHow to find your destination

|University Search



Q3-2: Can I contact researchers in Japan, who I don't know personally and ask them to become my host researcher?

We do not see a problem calling them directly, but we recommend you send a letter or email to them in adance explaing your intention. You can use JSPS-Net, Researchmap and CiNii to find a host researcher.


Q3-3: What support does the host researcher receive from JSPS to help the JSPS fellow carry out their research?

  Host researchers can apply for special research funding for the purpose of carrying out the joint research with the JSPS fellow.  JSPS fellows also help host researchers promote their research and internationalize their laboratories.


Q3-4: Where can I find lists of former fellowship recipients and host institutions?

You can find lists of former fellows on the JSPS website:













[List of Host Institutions]



Q3-5: I'd like to conduct research at more than one institution in Japan. Do I have to choose one at the time of application?

 Yes, you must choose one host researcher at one host institution for your application. If you found that you must do your research at more than one institution during the course of your fellowship tenure, you must discuss this with your host researcher prior to the application process.


4. Life in Japan

Q4-1: I donft have any Japanese language ability. Can I still apply?

Having a good command of Japanese is not a requirement for applying to these programs. Though it may vary by disciplines, in general researchers in Japan are fluent in English or can at least communicate in English and many Japanese universities have an international focus.

As for daily life outside the lab, although most public facilities in major cities and provincial towns have signs in English and Japanese, we recommend you have some knowledge about the Japanese language before going to Japan. Also, many universities have their own Japanese-language training courses for overseas researchers.


Q4-2: How can I get information about life in Japan?

 Please check out JSPS guidebook: 'Life in Japan for Foreign Researchers'!  You will receive the printed material if you are selected.




5. Post-acceptance

Q5-1: How do I receive fellowship allowances? Can JSPS transfer the allowances to my bank account in the U.S.?

We do not transfer allowances to any bank account outside Japan.  If you don't have a Japanese bank account, we may remit the allowances to your host researcher's account until you open your own bank account in Japan.


Q5-2: Can I extend or shorten my fellowship tenure after being accepted?

 In the 'Postdoc Standard', an extension to a maximum of 24 months is possible. 

In other programs, you cannot extend your tenure.

Shortening the tenure is possible for all programs.

Please refer to the URL below for further details.



Q5-3: What intellectual property rights do I have regarding the outcomes of my research while on the fellowship?

  If a disagreement regarding intellectual property rights is anticipated, the fellow, the host researcher and the host institution should establish a memorandum on disposition of intellectual property rights in advance. 


¦For questions pertaining to Invitational Fellowships for Research in Japan, please contact us at: sfo-fellowship"@" overseas.jsps.go.jp